Australia’s Top Rated Handles • Expert Advice • Email: [email protected]


We strive to make our product descriptions as broad and clear as possible. Here we have assembled a brief explanation of some of our terminology and jargon we use.  Hoping this may make it easier to understand and make your product selection easier. 

If you have any further questions after reading the glossary, please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance. 

Back Plate – Back Plate refers to either a circular, square or rectangular shaped piece of metal that surrounds the door lever or knob.

Backsets – The distance measured from the edge of the door to the centre point of the bore hole.

Borehole – The large hole that is drilled through the face of the door to allow for installation of hardware such as door handles, deadbolts, etc. Bore holes are usually 25mm or 54mm.

Cavity Sliding Door – A type of door installed on a sliding track that slides into and out of a hollowed space in a wall. Cavity sliding doors are used to free up space in a room by eliminating the necessity to maintain clearance for the action of a swinging door.

Cylinder – A cylindrical shaped component needed to use for in a lock to be able to lock.  Used to lock with a key from outside and inside a key /or thumb turn.

Deadbolt – A security feature used for exterior doors. Deadbolts are often combined with a locking lever and are generally positioned above or below them on a door. Gives added extra security for a locking door.

Door Thickness – The measurement of the thickness of your door. Standard door thickness is 35mm to 40mm.

Double Cylinder – Double cylinder door locks require a key to lock or unlock your door from both the inside and the outside. The double cylinder function is for door locks like deadbolts. Double cylinder locks are usually not recommended because they make it more difficult to exit your home in case of an emergency.

Dummy Handle – A dummy is one handle or a pair of handles that has no latching or locking function. It is either surface mounted to a door simply to give the door a handle to pull it open. To allow the door to stay closed you may require a door catch or magnet catch.

Entrance Pull Handle – Are commonly used on exterior doors. Its a long piece of metal that come in all shapes and sizes. These are an easier use of door handle as it allows to grip with ease by pushing or pulling.

Faceplate – Faceplate refers to the small rectangular-shaped piece of metal that surrounds the door latch on the edge of the door.

Finish – The finish colour of your door hardware. Most hardware has a variety of finish colours to choose from.

Flush Pull – is a Pull that is flush within a door or drawer. These are mainly used on cavity sliding doors.

Handing – Is determining if a door is Left Hand or Right Hand. “Left Hand” means the handle is on the left side of the door. “Right Hand” means on the handle is on the right side of the door.

Jamb – The doorframe to which the door’s hinges are attached that surrounds the door when it is closed.

Keyed Handle – Keyed Handles simply means a handle that needs to be locked with a key. 

Knuckle – Is the part of a Hinge, is the middle cylindrical part where the two leaves meet.

Kwila Timber – A naturally dark reddish-brown wood with soft gritted lines for wonderful textured look.  This can be either sealed, oiled or stained to any colour. Suited for our E3, E7 or E10.

Latch – The tongue spring mechanism that extends from the edge of the door into the door jamb to hold the door shut when closed.

Latch hole – The hole that is drilled into the edge of the door, connecting the larger main bore hole with the edge of the door.

Leaf / Leaves – In building terminology, Leaves are the flat part of a hinge.

Mortice Lock – The most secure form of an entry set that combines the two functions of locking and latching into one large mortise lock adding maximum security. Mortise locks require special tools and must be installed by a professional.

Passage Handle – Passage sets are used for doors that do not need locking. It has a latch, when the lever arm is pushed down it allows the door to open.  To shut the door the latch that protrudes out closes the door and keeps its closed. 

Privacy Handle – Privacy sets are used where a locking purpose is required.  These have either a thumb turn or snib that enables you to lock from the inside and has an emergency release access hole or slot on the outside.  Commonly used for bedroom doors, bathroom doors, etc.

(PC) Powder Coating – Powder Coating either White or Black are our standard finishes. The lead time for any powder coating is normally 7-10 days before delivery. Some specialised powder coating colours may take little longer. All powder coating are a additional cost per product. For more info. contact Handle House.

Roller Lock – These locks are operated by a roller mechanism to hold shut without locking. To use these it is simply a push or pull motion to go in and out without getting locked out.

Roller Latch – A roller latch with a roller mechanism to allow a door to close shut. Use by pull or push using a Pull Handle.

Rose – The backplate attached to a door knob or lever that covers the bore hole in the door.

Rosewood Timber – Either a golden brown or a dark blood red with darker veining.  Each piece of timber is different and unique, some with prominent grains more than others.  This timber is best to showcase its natural beauty with a polish or a sealer. Suited for our E3, E7 or E10.

Single CylinderSingle cylinder door locks require a key to lock and unlock your door from the outside or have a key/or thumb turn on the inside to lock and unlock your door. The single cylinder function is for locks.

Striker Plate – The metal plate installed on the door jamb that receives the latch or bolt from the door. The latch bolt extends from the door into the strike plate.